ALIGN DEPUTY DIRECTOR
ALIGN is a longstanding alliance of labor and community organizations united for a just and sustainable New York. ALIGN works at the intersection of economy, environment, and equity to make change and build movement. Our model addresses the root causes of economic injustice by forging strategic alliances among community and labor, shaping the public debate through strategic communications, and developing policy solutions that make impact.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Director has the responsibility for implementing organizational policy and promoting the overall success and effectiveness of the organization in advancing its mission. An ideal candidate should be able to both think broadly and strategically about ALIGN’s work, be detail oriented and organized about the implementation and structures necessary to move our vision into reality. The Deputy Director will be charged with the day-to- day internal management of facilities, grant and contract administration, human resources, information technology and special events functions and support the Executive Director in fundraising and communications.
Key responsibilities include:
Leadership: Coordinates weekly staff meetings and ensures ALIGN biweekly planning squares with annual goals of organization; works with the Executive Director to plan and implement planning and staff development retreats; has big picture view and demonstrates fluency with all aspects of the organization including campaigns.
Organizational Relationships: Serves as alternate ambassador to Executive Director with other institutions and the general public; proactively positions ALIGN and advances its reputation in the fields in which it works; ensures coordination and cultivation of key institutional and political relationships across ALIGN team; models the ability to deal with conflicts calmly, constructively, effectively, and in a timely manner.
Administration: Manages the infrastructure team to ensure the organizational, operational, legal and financial health and effectiveness of the organization; ability to manage individual budget and support management of budget for the entire organization.
Fundraising: Develops funder relationships alongside Executive Director; monitors fundraising and grants calendar across all implicated staff; effectively collaborates with partner organizations in joint fundraising.
Staff Development: Collaborates with Executive Director and lead team to maintain and advance an organizational culture that supports work/life balance and foster positive staff relations; ensures that staff members receive the evaluation, training, support, supervision and leadership development that they need to succeed; point person to implement collective bargaining agreement and participate in regular labor/management meetings.
The Deputy Director is accountable and accessible, a proven leader on campaigns, a good listener, politically savvy, and personally well organized.
- Understands ALIGN’s mission and model for building power with community and labor. Has effectively worked in community and labor spaces.
- Four plus years in senior management roles including staff supervision, human resources, fundraising, finance, and/or operations in a social justice nonprofit context.
- Leadership skills to keep ALIGN’s various programs coordinated under a unified vision.
- Demonstrated commitment to economic, racial and social justice.
- Significant knowledge of and experience with base building including labor unions, membership-based community organizations, and environmental justice organizations.
- Effective leadership development, supervision, and management skills.
- Detail-oriented and able to maintain strong administration and fiscal systems.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent personal organization and time management skills; capacity to manage multiple priorities; and accountability to goals.
Terms of Employment: Full-time position with generous benefits and a family-friendly work environment. Terms and others relevant to the position are available upon request.
Application Process: E-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is Dec. 20th, 2016. Please put “Deputy Director” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBTQ and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.