Title: Climate Campaign Coordinator
ALIGN: the Alliance for a Greater New York is an alliance of community and labor organizations working together to create good jobs, vibrant communities, and a more accountable democracy for all New Yorkers. ALIGN is the coming together of two long-standing New York community-labor coalitions, New York Jobs with Justice and Urban Agenda. Over the last two decades, we have been at the forefront of championing fair economic development policies, winning quality jobs with career ladders for low-income public housing residents, and creating green jobs through municipal building retrofits. For more information about our work, visit alignny.org.
We seek a talented, motivated, and dedicated person to join our team as the Climate Campaign Coordinator to ignite momentum for new and developing campaigns in a mid-level position. This position will play an important role in the implementation of dynamic campaigns to advance ALIGN’s vision for economic justice, equity, and environmental sustainability in New York.
The Climate Campaign Coordinator will be primarily responsible for building diverse institutional partnerships for campaign coalitions; coordinating high-impact mobilizations and actions that shift public opinion and elevate campaign profiles; and engaging the base of our institutional partners and other targeted audiences to promote broad support for our issues.
Position Description & Responsibilities
The Campaign Coordinator will report to the Executive Director and is responsible for leading on our climate campaigns and will include the following responsibilities:
- Campaign Development: Leading the development of both of the climate campaigns. This will include visioning, planning, and strategy development done in conjunction with allies and coalition members. The primary focus will be to grow our campaigns which bring together economic justice, environmental justice, and labor partners towards unified political power across the state.
- Campaign Coordination: Leading a team of organizational partners to effectively implement the CW4A and TDT campaign plans through setting and consistently achieving yearly, quarterly, and weekly goals as well as responding to campaign flow, stakeholders’ and internal priorities to adapt plans effectively; managing public education, advocacy, tactic and action/event coordination.
- Alliance-Building: Strengthening and growing our longstanding alliance through broad-based institutional and individual relationship-building and maintenance; building leadership and mobilization capacity of community and labor allies.
- Policy Advocacy: Driving political organizing strategy to achieve policy demands, coordinating research and other needs among staff and allies, and directing external strategies such as actions and mobilizations for our climate campaigns.
- A commitment to social, economic, and racial justice and the labor movement;
- Minimum 3 years of professional organizing experience working in a community organization and/or labor union; coalition coordination experience preferred
- Strong coalition building and facilitation skills across a diverse set of organizations and constituents;
- Knows the New York political landscape and communities;
- Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion, supervise junior staff, and work as part of a team;
- Excellent organizational, writing and communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a deadline-driven environment;
- Ability to work independently and manage projects from conception to completion.
Terms of Employment: ALIGN’s salary and benefits standards are competitive, with a salary range of $60,000-68,000, depending on experience. The Climate Campaign Coordinator is a full-time position with health, retirement, vacation, and other benefits. These terms, and others relevant to your employment, are spelled out in the ALIGN Personnel Policy that is available upon request.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. Email cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be receiving applications for a month until August 31st. Please put “Climate Campaign Coordinator” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls, please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBTQ people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
For Immediate Release: May 5, 2021
Contact: Patrick Nevada, email@example.com, 646.866.9065
After Relentless Organizing by Essential Workers and Advocates, Governor Cuomo Signs NY HERO Act Into Law
NEW YORK, NY – After relentless organizing and pressure from essential workers and advocates, Governor Cuomo today signed the NY HERO Act into law, which passed with bipartisan support in the New York State Assembly and Senate. Over the past few months, support for this common-sense and bipartisan legislation has grown as the NY Essential Workers Coalition ran a highly disciplined, focused, and strategic campaign to win. The Albany Times Union, Newsday, and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer all endorsed the legislation in the past few days.
NY HERO Act will be the first law in the country to create permanent, enforceable health and safety standards to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and other airborne infectious diseases in the workplace. As New York moves toward a full reopening in the coming weeks, this vital law will help protect essential workers and businesses
The legislation directs the state Department of Labor to create lasting new protections, including protocols around face masks, PPE, social distancing, and airflow. It also gives workers a stronger say in enforcing those standards through workplace Health and Safety Committees.
“The relentless organizing of essential workers is what got Governor Cuomo to sign the NY HERO Act. We are grateful to New York State Senator Michael Gianaris and Assembly Member Karines Reyes for their tireless and effective leadership on the NY HERO Act from day one of this campaign. As New York moves toward a full re-opening in the weeks ahead, the NY HERO Act will play a key role in protecting essential workers and businesses across the state. This law is a major new national precedent for how to create enforceable health and safety protections for workers on the frontlines of the COVID pandemic and give workers a voice on the job through health and safety committees. On behalf of the essential workers coalition, a statewide group of over 70 unions, worker centers, community organizations, legal service providers, immigrants rights groups, and health and safety advocates I am thrilled to see the NY HERO act signed into law,” said Maritza Silva-Farrell, Executive Director of ALIGN and a key leader of the NY Essential Workers Coalition that successfully fought for the NY HERO Act.
The NY Essential Workers Coalition has led the campaign for the NY HERO Act statewide group made up of over 75 unions, worker centers, immigrant rights organizations, legal service providers, health and safety organizations, and community-based organizations. More than 100 community and labor organizations have backed the legislation.
Title: Senior Policy & Research Analyst: Climate Initiatives
ALIGN: the Alliance for a Greater New York unites labor and community for a more just and sustainable New York. Formed by the merger of New York Jobs with Justice and Urban Agenda, ALIGN builds upon over 20 years of creating good jobs, healthy communities, and a more accountable democracy for all New Yorkers. For more information about our work, visit www.alignny.org.
Our climate coalitions of environmental justice, community and labor allies are advancing programs putting hundreds of New Yorkers to work in good green union jobs as our state transitions to renewable energy with programs that benefit low-income communities of color.
We have won significant victories from reforming the commercial waste industry to mandating the most ambitious energy efficiency bills in the world, by passing the groundbreaking Dirty Buildings bill, that will slash emissions from large buildings 80 percent by 2050, and with the NY Renews coalition with the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA). This legislation sets forth one of the nation’s most ambitious climate targets, requiring carbon-free electricity by 2040 and a net-zero economy by 2050.
Position Description & Responsibilities:
ALIGN is currently seeking a full-time Research and Policy Analyst to focus on labor, equity, and the environment through the context of our climate-focused coalitions.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Senior Research and Policy Analyst will lead research to inform the implementation of our recent victories, and will conduct research to guide the next phases of our work. The ideal candidate would:
– Work closely with both government agencies, elected officials, and coalition partners to oversee and drive implementation of campaigns.
– Become an expert on climate change and its impacts on working people as well as specific industries and economic sectors.
– Develop a deep understanding of the buildings, energy, water and transportation sectors and their economics, workforce, and technical considerations
– Investigate workforce development opportunities in green infrastructure in both the public and private sectors.
– Acquire knowledge of climate protection policy and its effectiveness at creating high-quality jobs
– Create research memos, reports, and fact sheets that inform campaign strategy, using a combination of data sources, interviews, and public documents.
– Represent the campaigns at various coalitions, and connect policy/research work with the campaigns’ organizing and communications staff.
– Experience and desire to work in advocacy/campaign based research settings: Candidate should have 3-5+ years experience in community or labor campaign research, and/or a graduate degree in public policy, urban planning, environmental studies/health, or a related field.
– Strong skills in written communication, report writing, and quantitative analysis. Comfort and flexibility with working on several research projects simultaneously.
– Familiarity with climate investments, economic development, urban planning, water, clean energy, and workforce development/labor. Experience with policy development and implementation.
– Social justice: A firm commitment to racial and economic justice.
– Working as a leader within a team: Ability to work independently and collectively within a team, possession of strong interpersonal communication skills
Terms of employment: ALIGN’s salary and benefit standards are competitive, with a salary range of $60,000-68,000, depending on experience. Full family health benefits, 401(k),vacation, Transit Access Pass, commitment to work/life balance, Friendly, team-oriented working environment. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. E-mail cover letter, resume, and short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Senior Policy & Research Analyst” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.