Director of Finance and Operations
ALIGN: the Alliance for a Greater New York is an alliance of community and labor organizations working together to create good jobs, vibrant communities, and a more accountable democracy for all New Yorkers. ALIGN is the coming together of two long-standing New York community-labor coalitions, New York Jobs with Justice and Urban Agenda. Over the last two decades, we have been at the forefront of championing fair economic development policies, winning quality jobs with career ladders for low-income public housing residents, and creating green jobs through municipal building retrofits. For more information about our work, visit www.alignny.org.
We are seeking an experienced leader who is committed to using their excellent skills in managing people and making organizational systems thrive in order to advance the mission of ALIGN.
You will be responsible for strengthening and supporting administrative and financial systems including finance, accounting, information technology, human resources, and internal communications. As a member of our senior management team, you will be involved in a range of strategic planning and internal initiatives. The ideal candidate will have a deep commitment to social, racial, economic, and environmental justice and a track record of successfully managing nonprofit organizations.
Responsibilities Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Finance and Operations ensures the overall financial health and successful functioning of the organization. Responsibilities include:
- Oversee all administrative aspects of the organization, including ensuring appropriate systems and documentation.
- Partner with the Executive Director to support the operations of the Board of Directors including meeting preparation, minutes and follow up.
- Track all foundation income and proposal/report deadlines, maintaining lists, files and tracking systems.
- Conduct foundation prospecting research.
- Production of grant proposals and reports, working with Executive Director, program staff and submit proposals and reports.
Financial Management, in partnership with finance staff and consultants:
- Oversee all aspects of the organization’s finances, including annual budget, annual audit, bookkeeping, funds management, financial reports, and financial controls.
- Coordinate annual budgeting process and mid-year budget review.
- Oversee and continually improve financial controls and systems.
Operations Management, in partnership with operations and staff:
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and nonprofit best practices.
- Oversee IT, security, and document retention policies and practices.
- Seek counsel from attorneys, as needed, on employment issues, 501(c)(3) compliance, etc.
- implement collective bargaining agreements and participate in regular labor/management meetings.
Human Resources Support:
- Support the recruitment and orientation of new employees (as well as the exit process)
- Implementing and monitoring the personnel policies as listed in the ALIGN Handbook and Collective Bargaining agreement, obtaining and managing health, flex, and retirement benefits programs
- At least five years of applicable professional experience, preferably in the nonprofit sector.
- Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, economic and environmental justice.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to keep long- and short-term projects moving at the same time.
- Extremely detail-oriented self-starter.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of accounting programs and accounting principles.
- Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Administrative experience in a fast-paced environment preferred.
- Degree in administration, finance, or related field or equivalent experience preferred.
Terms of Employment: The Director of Finance and Operations is a full-time position. ALIGN’s salary and benefits standards are competitive, with a salary range of $70,000-78,000, depending on experience with health, retirement, vacation, and other benefits. These terms, and others relevant to your employment, are spelled out in the ALIGN Personnel Policy which accompanies this Job Description.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. E-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Director of Finance and Operations” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls, please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with the first round of reviews beginning October 10. Position open until filled. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.