Title: Project Organizer: Minimum Wage Campaign
ALIGN: The Alliance for a Greater New York unites labor and community for a more just and sustainable New York. Formed by the merger of New York Jobs with Justice and Urban Agenda, ALIGN builds upon over 20 years of creating good jobs, healthy communities, and a more accountable democracy for all New Yorkers. For more information about our work, visit www.alignny.org.
We seek a talented, motivated, and experienced Project Organizer for a contract term of 6 months to support building a New York State Minimum Wage Coalition. This position will play an important role in the implementation of this critical campaign to advance ALIGN’s vision for economic justice, equity, and environmental sustainability in New York.
The Project Organizer will be primarily responsible for building diverse institutional partnerships for the campaign, coordinating high-impact mobilizations and actions that shift public opinion and elevate campaign profiles; and engaging the base of our institutional partners and other targeted audiences to promote broad support.
Position Description & Responsibilities
The Project Organizer will report to the Deputy Director and the Minimum Wage Coalition co-coordinators and is responsible for:
- Lead planning and execution of campaign strategy: This will include leading regular coalition calls, working with coalition to develop campaign plan and activities, and coordinating the execution of campaign activities, which may include meetings, actions, media events, lobby days, etc.
- Lead efforts to build relationships with labor unions, worker centers, grassroots, and other allied organizations through visioning, planning, and strategic implementation of the campaign across New York State: This will be the Project Organizer’s primary and most significant responsibility at ALIGN and within the coalition. The Organizer will be responsible for deepening existing relationships, rapidly growing new partnerships, and ensuring that workers are at the table to help shape the policy and campaign.
- Regular and active engagement with coalition leaders: This will include supporting the coalition’s work to plan campaigns, develop collaborative strategies, deliberate on policies, and closely collaborate with co-coordinators on legislative outreach across New York State.
- Seamlessly coordinate work between ALIGN and the Minimum Wage coalition: This will include regular communication and coordination with ALIGN’s leadership to implement the coalition’s objectives; setting and consistently achieving quarterly and weekly goals as informed by ALIGN’s priorities and the coalitions’ goals; responding to campaign flow, stakeholder concerns, and internal priorities to adapt plans effectively; and collaborating with organizing, research, and communications capacities at ALIGN.
- A commitment to social, economic and racial justice and the labor movement;
- Minimum 3–5 years of professional work experience in organizing and coalition building;
- Has strong relationships with and ability to influence the leadership of economic justice and labor organizations;
- Understands the New York political landscape, both city and state;
- Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion;
- Excellent organizational, writing and communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a deadline driven environment;
- Willingness and ability to produce significant impacts however necessary.
- Must be able to travel across New York State on a regular basis.
Terms of Employment: The Project Organizer position is a temporary 6-month contract position with the potential to become full-time. Ability to regularly travel outside the 5 boroughs of New York City is a requirement for this position. The position will pay between $32,000–35,000 over the next six months, dependent on experience.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. We will be accepting applications through 4/24. E-mail cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to email@example.com. Please put “Project Organizer — MWC” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBTQ+ people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.