ALIGN: The Alliance for a Greater New York unites labor and community for a more just and sustainable New York. Formed by the merger of New York Jobs with Justice and Urban Agenda, ALIGN builds upon over 20 years of creating good jobs, healthy communities, and a more accountable democracy for all New Yorkers. For more information about our work, visit www.alignny.org.
We seek a talented, motivated, and experienced State Climate Policy Coordinator to support our labor engagement work in NY Renews. ALIGN is a steering committee member of NY Renews, a broad-based coalition of approximately 300 organizations from across New York State fighting for good jobs and climate justice. In 2019, NY Renews achieved a massive victory with the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA) in the New York State Legislature, which sets forth one of the world’s most ambitious climate plans, requiring carbon-free electricity by 2040 and a net-zero carbon economy by 2050.
Position Description & Responsibilities
The State Climate Policy Coordinator will report to the Executive Director and is responsible for:
- Leading efforts to build relationships with labor unions and worker organizations across New York State: This will be the State Climate Policy Coordinator’s primary and most significant responsibility at ALIGN and within the NY Renews coalition. The State Climate Policy Coordinator will place particular focus on engaging labor unions that are most impacted by the transition to renewable energy. They will be responsible for deepening existing relationships, rapidly growing new relationships, and ensuring that labor unions are at the table to help shape climate policies.
- Regular and active engagement with NY Renews: This will include supporting the coalition’s work to plan campaigns, develop collaborative strategies, deliberate on policies, and conduct outreach across New York State. The State Climate Policy Coordinator will join coalition calls and meetings, and will lead coordination of the coalition’s Labor Committee.
- Seamlessly coordinating work between ALIGN and the NY Renews coalition: This will include regular communication and coordination with ALIGN’s leadership to implement NY Renews objectives; setting and consistently achieving quarterly and weekly goals as informed by ALIGN’s priorities and NY Renews goals; responding to NY Renews campaign flow, stakeholder concerns, and internal priorities to adapt plans effectively; and collaborating with organizing, research, and communications capacities at ALIGN.
- Engaging members of the coalition and ensuring that they provide input on the legislative development of the Climate and Community Investment Act (CCIA), any future legislative demands by the coalition, and/or other policy priorities. The State Climate Policy Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that coalition members are engaging strategically to provide capacity and guidance where there is policy analysis that needs input relevant to our federal advocacy and legislative work.
- Identifying strategic points of intervention around policy issues that can bring labor and the New York Renews coalition to work together.
Candidates for this position must possess the following qualities:
- A commitment to social, economic, racial, and climate justice and the labor movement;
- Minimum 3–5 years of professional work experience in developing and implementing policy solutions;
- Has strong relationships with and ability to influence the leadership of economic justice and labor organizations;
- Experience with advocacy in legislative, budget campaigns, and administrative advocacy
- Understands the New York political landscape, both city and state;
- Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion;
- Excellent organizational, writing, and communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a deadline-driven environment;
- Ability to develop and maintain genuine working relationships of trust and solidarity with a wide variety of partners from diverse backgrounds;
- Ability to work collaboratively, including in moments of urgency;
- Ability to problem-solve and work creatively to meet goals and produce significant results.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Experience working with coalitions;
- A background in the climate justice movement;
- Experience working in policy research or legal analysis;
- Experience interfacing with government agencies and/or elected officials;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Slack, and Google Workspace;
- Ability to analyze, understand, and “de-wonkify” legislative, administrative, and policy language for a broad audience; ability to produce compelling written materials for professional, legislative, and lay audiences
Terms of Employment: ALIGN’s salary and benefits standards are competitive; the salary range is $60,000–68,000, depending on experience. The State Climate Policy Coordinator is a full-time position with health, retirement, vacation, and other benefits. These terms, and others relevant to your employment, are spelled out in the ALIGN Personnel Policy.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. Email cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be receiving applications until December 1st, 2021. Please put “State Climate Policy Coordinator” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls, please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBTQ+ people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.