TITLE: Communications Associate
ALIGN: the Alliance for a Greater New York unites labor and community for a more just and sustainable New York. Formed by the merger of New York Jobs with Justice and Urban Agenda, ALIGN builds upon over 20 years of creating good jobs, healthy communities, and a more accountable democracy for all New Yorkers. For more information about our work, visit www.alignny.org.
We seek a talented and motivated person to join our team as ALIGN’s Communications Associate. The Communications Associate will play a vital role in effective implementation of our digital organizing and communications strategies across ALIGN’s programs, from campaigns, fundraising, publications, graphic design and data management.
Position Description and Responsibilities:
The Communications Associate will report to the Director of Strategic Research & Communications, and will be responsible for:
- Growing the organization’s digital base and online presence, using tools such as email, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Instagram, and other platforms.
- Updating and promoting the organization’s website, as well as websites that have been created for our campaigns.
- Developing and drafting email messages, website content, branding and fundraising materials, newsletters, and other online and print publications.
- Supporting campaigns by developing messaging and other communications materials in collaboration with organizers and researchers.
- Coordinating with internal organizers and external coalition partners for joint campaign communications actions and other activities.
- Designing materials for print and online publication, including flyers, graphics and other visual content for social media, and producing multi-media content like presentations and videos.
- Assisting with media work, including gathering and filing ALIGN earned media press clips, reaching out to reporters, updating press lists, drafting talking points and press materials, and preparing spokespeople.
- Closely collaborating with other members of the team, and performing other duties as needed.
- A commitment to social and economic justice and the labor movement.
- Minimum 2 years of professional communications and/or related experience working in community, labor, or political organizations.
- Excellent organizational, writing, and communications skills.
- Knowledgeable about online communities, social media culture, and best practices.
- Possesses graphic design skills and understanding of basic video editing software.
- Experience using CRM software like Salsa and CiviCRM for advocacy purposes is a plus.
- Experience using Content Management Systems (CMS) to update websites, such as WordPress, XHTML, CSS and PHP, is a plus.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced work environment and able to quickly adapt to changing needs and priorities.
- Able to multi-task, collaborate as part of a team, and work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Strategic judgment, flexibility, creativity, and initiative is a must.
Terms of Employment: The Communications Associate is a full-time position with health, retirement, vacation, and other benefits. This is a staff position covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. Please email cover letter, resume, and a short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Communications Associate” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBTQ, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.