Title: Project Organizer for NY Renews
ALIGN: the Alliance for a Greater New York unites labor and community for a more just and sustainable New York. Formed by the merger of New York Jobs with Justice and Urban Agenda, ALIGN builds upon over 20 years of creating good jobs, healthy communities, and a more accountable democracy for all New Yorkers. For more information about our work, visit www.alignny.org.
We seek a talented, motivated, and experienced Project Organizer for a contract term of 6 months to support our labor engagement work in NY Renews. ALIGN is a steering committee member of NY Renews, a broad-based coalition of approximately 200 organizations from across New York State fighting for good jobs and climate justice. Just this year, NY Renews achieved a massive victory with the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA) in the New York State Legislature, which sets forth one of the world’s most ambitious climate plans, requiring carbon-free electricity by 2040 and a net-zero carbon economy by 2050.
Position Description & Responsibilities
The Project Organizer will report to the Executive Director and the NY Renews Steering Committee and is responsible for:
- Lead efforts to build relationships with labor unions across New York State: This will be the Project Organizer’s primary and most significant responsibility at ALIGN and within the NY Renews coalition. The Project Organizer will place particular focus on engaging labor unions that are most impacted by the transition to renewable energy. The Organizer will be responsible for deepening existing relationships, rapidly growing new relationships, and ensuring that labor unions are at the table to help shape climate policies.
- Regular and active engagement with NY Renews: This will include supporting the coalition’s work to plan campaigns, develop collaborative strategies, deliberate on policies, and conduct outreach across New York State. The Project Organizer will join coalition calls and meetings, and will lead coordination of the coalition’s Labor Committee.
- Seamlessly coordinate work between ALIGN and the NY Renews coalition: This will include regular communication and coordination with ALIGN’s leadership to implement NY Renews objectives; setting and consistently achieving quarterly and weekly goals as informed by ALIGN’s priorities and NY Renews goals; responding to NY Renews campaign flow, stakeholder concerns, and internal priorities to adapt plans effectively; and collaborating with organizing, research, and communications capacities at ALIGN.
- A commitment to social, economic and racial justice and the labor movement;
- Minimum 5 years of professional work experience in organizing and coalition building;
- Has strong relationships with and ability to influence the leadership of economic justice and labor organizations;
- Understands the New York political landscape, both city and state;
- Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion;
- Excellent organizational, writing and communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a deadline driven environment;
- Willingness and ability to produce significant impacts however necessary.
- Must be able to travel across New York State on a regular basis.
Terms of Employment: The Project Organizer position is a temporary 6-month contract position. Ability to regularly travel outside the 5 boroughs of New York City is a requirement for this position.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. E-mail cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Project Organizer – NY Renews” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBT and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.