Title: Senior Policy & Research Analyst
ALIGN is a longstanding alliance of labor and community organizations united for a just and sustainable New York. We seek a talented, motivated, and dedicated individual to join our team as Senior Policy & Research Analyst. This is an exciting time to join our staff and be engaged in building an ambitious organization at the forefront of innovative policy, organizing, and communications efforts in New York. The research and analysis done by ALIGN is key to the success of our campaigns for policies protecting worker health and safety, reducing pollution, and creating new green jobs, including winning the NY HERO Act, Local Law 97, and Commercial Waste Zones.
Position Description & Responsibilities:
The Senior Policy & Research Analyst will report to the Executive Director and is responsible for:
• Campaign research and policy development: Develop research plans and timelines. Design, conduct, and manage qualitative and quantitative research including literature reviews, surveys, and data analysis. Work closely with the ALIGN team as well as a broad range of stakeholders both at the grassroots and leadership levels to develop, present, and drive progressive policies and effective implementation of policy wins.
• Policy papers and research briefs: Develop and draft written reports, white papers and other materials that are accessible to key audiences such as community & union leaders, policy makers, funders and the broader public. Partner with communications staff to regularly disseminate research findings and policy positions to our partners, the media, and the general public.
• Public advocacy: Facilitate in-person and webinar discussions on related policy topics with state/local government agencies and community-based organizations. Represent ALIGN externally by attending policy briefings and meetings. Use data analysis, primary and secondary research, and best-practice policy analysis to support campaigns and shift debate on economic, environmental, and equity issues. Draft and deliver public testimony, speak at policy and research panels, and serve on policy advisory councils and working groups to build issue saliency and garner support for our policies.
• Issue tracking and analysis: Follow and analyze current labor, economic, and environmental statistics from a wide variety of governmental and non-governmental sources. Regularly track relevant issues of interest to the organization, such as employment, city and state budgets, sustainability, and economic development data and trends. Conduct state and federal policy scans. Track policy proposals and implementation in assigned content areas.
• Organizational health: Supporting practices that lead toward a caring, collaborative, and effective staff team. Supporting with fundraising and reporting to ensure the organization’s financial sustainability.
• A commitment to social, economic, climate and racial justice and the labor movement;
• Minimum 5 years professional policy and research experience working in nonprofit, political, or labor organizations;
• Familiarity with NYC and New York State policies, grassroots movements and governmental relations;
• Ability to present policy, practices and research information to a variety of audiences, including federal, state, and local government officials and policymakers;
• Knowledge of computers and technology: proficient in spreadsheets, slide decks, and audio/visual and conference calling technology; experience with data analysis tools a plus;
• Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion, and work as part of a team;
• Excellent organizational, writing and communication skills;
• Ability to multi-task and work in a deadline driven environment;
• Comfortable in a fast-paced work environment and able to quickly adapt to changing needs and priorities;
• Strategic judgment, flexibility, creativity, and initiative is a must.
Terms of Employment: The Senior Policy & Research Analyst is a full-time position with health, retirement, vacation, and other benefits. This is a staff position covered by a collective bargaining agreement. The starting pay for this position is between $65,000–$75,000 annually, dependent on experience.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. Email cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be receiving applications on a rolling basis until October 30, or until the position is filled. Please put “Research Analyst” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls, please.
ALIGN takes the health of our employees, families, and communities very seriously. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBTQ people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.