Title: Senior Policy & Research Analyst: Climate Initiatives
ALIGN: the Alliance for a Greater New York unites labor and community for a more just and sustainable New York. Formed by the merger of New York Jobs with Justice and Urban Agenda, ALIGN builds upon over 20 years of creating good jobs, healthy communities, and a more accountable democracy for all New Yorkers. For more information about our work, visit www.alignny.org.
Our climate coalitions of environmental justice, community and labor allies are advancing programs putting hundreds of New Yorkers to work in good green union jobs as our state transitions to renewable energy with programs that benefit low-income communities of color.
We have won significant victories from reforming the commercial waste industry to mandating the most ambitious energy efficiency bills in the world, by passing the groundbreaking Dirty Buildings bill, that will slash emissions from large buildings 80 percent by 2050, and with the NY Renews coalition with the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA). This legislation sets forth one of the nation’s most ambitious climate targets, requiring carbon-free electricity by 2040 and a net-zero economy by 2050.
Position Description & Responsibilities:
ALIGN is currently seeking a full-time Research and Policy Analyst to focus on labor, equity, and the environment through the context of our climate-focused coalitions.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Senior Research and Policy Analyst will lead research to inform the implementation of our recent victories, and will conduct research to guide the next phases of our work. The ideal candidate would:
– Work closely with both government agencies, elected officials, and coalition partners to oversee and drive implementation of campaigns.
– Become an expert on climate change and its impacts on working people as well as specific industries and economic sectors.
– Develop a deep understanding of the buildings, energy, water and transportation sectors and their economics, workforce, and technical considerations
– Investigate workforce development opportunities in green infrastructure in both the public and private sectors.
– Acquire knowledge of climate protection policy and its effectiveness at creating high-quality jobs
– Create research memos, reports, and fact sheets that inform campaign strategy, using a combination of data sources, interviews, and public documents.
– Represent the campaigns at various coalitions, and connect policy/research work with the campaigns’ organizing and communications staff.
– Experience and desire to work in advocacy/campaign based research settings: Candidate should have 3-5+ years experience in community or labor campaign research, and/or a graduate degree in public policy, urban planning, environmental studies/health, or a related field.
– Strong skills in written communication, report writing, and quantitative analysis. Comfort and flexibility with working on several research projects simultaneously.
– Familiarity with climate investments, economic development, urban planning, water, clean energy, and workforce development/labor. Experience with policy development and implementation.
– Social justice: A firm commitment to racial and economic justice.
– Working as a leader within a team: Ability to work independently and collectively within a team, possession of strong interpersonal communication skills
Terms of employment: ALIGN’s salary and benefit standards are competitive, with a salary range of $60,000-68,000, depending on experience. Full family health benefits, 401(k),vacation, Transit Access Pass, commitment to work/life balance, Friendly, team-oriented working environment. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. E-mail cover letter, resume, and short writing sample to email@example.com. Please put “Senior Policy & Research Analyst” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.